• Tulane University, Bachelor of Arts (English & Communications)
• Washington University School of Law, Juris Doctor (JD)
Current Professional Experience
• Attorney/Guardian Ad Litem: Court-appointed advocate representing children in abuse, neglect, custody, detention, adoption, and related matters. Investigate adequacy of remedial services provided through the various county departments. Evaluate child’s educational needs. Interview school counselors, teachers, and social workers to form a basis for recommendations. Attend Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings to ensure the child’s needs are met with supportive programming.
• Fairfax County Planning Commission, Sully District: Serve on Schools, Parks, and Capital Improvement Program committees. Make recommendations to Fairfax County Board of Supervisors regarding comprehensive plan amendments, zoning applications, and other land-use issues. Seek input from planning and zoning staff, Fairfax County Public Schools, transportation specialists, individual constituents, community associations, developers, landowners, and other stakeholders.
Past Professional Experience
• Office of Public Counsel: Worked with a state agency that represents and protects customers from overcharges and other abuses.
• Karen Keys-Gamarra, Attorney at Law: Small business owner. Worked in private practice focusing on education discrimination and employment law issues. Also handled bankruptcy and family law matters.
• Citizens for Reliable and Safe Highways: Lobbied Congress for safety regulations for commercial drivers.
• Teamsters for a Democratic Union: Managed Washington DC office as staff attorney for a union watchdog group. Advised members regarding union rights, protected employees from retaliation, addressed workplace safety, and monitored corruption and budgetary abuses.
• CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate): Volunteered for an organization that represents children in abuse and neglect situations. Currently, serve as an invited speaker for CASA training programs.
• Time to Fly: Advisory Board member for organization established to assist victims of domestic violence. Responsible for fiduciary and budgetary oversight.
• NAACP: Member/Volunteer. Participated in the ACT-SO competition and coached teens participating in a national Academic, Cultural, Technological and Scientific Knowledge competition.
• Mothers of Preschoolers, Fairfax Chapter: Organized, established and provided leadership for the development of the Evening Program which offered support to mothers of young children. Planned and managed the program and supervised allocated budget.
• Grace Covenant Church, Chantilly: Children’s Sunday school teacher/assistant and past leader in Women’s Ministry.